top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

Thinking About Building a Fence or Retaining Wall?

The Town of Neepawa Zoning By-law No. 2650 contains the following provisions regarding the height of fences, walls and hedges in residentially zoned areas:

a) The maximum height shall not exceed 3 feet in any front yard. (The front yard is the front 25 feet of the lot, measured from the front property boundary.)

b) The maximum height shall not exceed 6 feet in any side yard or rear yard.

Building permits are generally not required for fences or walls. Retaining walls where the height of the wall exceeds 4 feet at any point require a permit prior to construction.

If you have any questions about fences or any other construction project in Neepawa or, RM of Rosedale or RM of Glenella/Lansdowne 

please contact Jeff at the Neepawa & Area Planning District. (204)-476-3277

What are the Swimming Pool & Hot Tub Regulations?

As per Manitoba Building Code Specifications:

Private Pool means an artificially constructed basin, lined with concrete, fiberglass, vinyl or like material, that is capable of containing water depth greater than 60 cm. (24 inches) and that is located on the property of a single-family residence.

A professional engineer must certify all in ground pools.

  • A fence or other barrier that is structured in the following manner must enclose all outdoor swimming pools:

  • It has a minimum vertical height of 1.5m (5 feet) and a maximum vertical height of 1.8m (6 feet).

  • Access cannot be gained through it or under it.

  • Access through the fence is restricted by means of a self-closing gate which is 1.5m (5 feet) in height.  The gate must be         designed as to cause the gate to become secured with a lockable latch to prevent unauthorized entry.  The latch shall be installed in a fashion that it cannot be easily reached or activated from the outside of the gate(s).

  • Where chain link is used, the mesh size does not exceed 50 millimeters (two inches) and the wire is at least number 11 gauge; and

  • Where other than chain link is used, the outside surface of the fence or gate is relatively smooth so as not to provide foot or toe holds,

  • No person shall operate an outdoor swimming pool unless the fence and gate are maintained in good repair.

Where can I locate my pool?

As long as your swimming pool is properly fenced it many be located in your side or rear yard.  It must be no closer that 0.6m (2 feet) from your read property line and 0.3m (1 foot) from your side property line.  As well, the pool must be at least 1.2 m (4 feet)  from your home.

Where can I locate the mechanical equipment for my pool?

The only restrictions on the location of the mechanical equipment, is that it may not be located in your front yard, and it may not be located any closer than 4.6m (15 feet) to an operable window of a neighboring residence.  Having a fence between the mechanical equipment and the window does not reduce or remove this requirement.

bottom of page